We’d like to thank everyone for participating.
The contest is closed. Currently Selecting Winners!
What is the Kyoto International Manga Contest?
It is an international manga contest designed to create an opportunity for aspiring manga artists to make their pro debut. The Kyoto International Manga Contest 2018 is held in collaboration with the “Manga Business Trip Editorial Department at KYO-MAF”.
The past winners are still active today!
- 2015 ANTENNA牛魚
- Achievement: Made their serialization debut in Japan in Shogakukan's magazine "Hibana".
Present: ANTENNA牛魚 is earnestly making new work for Shonengahosha’s Young King BULL editorial department (released on the first of every month).
- 2016 nyaroro
- Achievement: Their one-shot “Julian and Toga” was published in the October edition of the Monthly GFantasy magazine.
Present: nyaroro is diligently creating new work for the same magazine.
©2018 nyaroro/SQUARE ENIX
- 2017 Jōshō
- Present: Jōshō is currently in negotations with a manga publishing company in Japan.
©隱藏關卡THL/Jōshō/Tongli Publishing Co., Ltd.
The winners will be invited to Kyoto, Japan!
- The results will be announced on this page at the beginning of September and the award ceremony will be held at the venue of the Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair (Miyako Messe) on September 16, 2018.
- One grand prize winner and two semi grand prize winners will be invited to the Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair 2018 (KYO-MAF)!
- The round-trip transportation expenses and accommodation fees (for one person per prize) will be taken care of by the organizer! They will also arrange for interpreters to be present!
The shortcut to a professional debut!
The prize-winning works of the Kyoto International Manga Contest will be displayed at KYO-MAF and the secretariat of the Kyoto International Manga Contest will recommend the prizewinners of the contest to all participating editorial departments in the Manga Business Trip Editorial Department at KYO-MAF.
You might get an offer from a successful editor?!
Introducing our special judges!
Third Comic Department Producer and General Manager of Big Comics at Shogakukan
Tomofumi worked on various magazines such as Weekly Shōnen Sunday, Big Comic Spirits, Big Comic Original, and Big Comic Superior.
He was in charge of a great number of works which include “Kaze no Daichi”, “Rumic Theater”, “Yoiko”, “Yattarо̄ Jan!!”, “Shippudotо̄”, “Aozora”, “Touch”, and “Urusei Yatsura”. He worked as the editor in chief for the editorial department of Big Comic Superior and is now in charge of the secretariat for the Shogakukan Manga Award.
He is also currently in charge of “Nietzsche Ga Kyoto Ni Yattekite 17 Sai No Watashi ni Tetsugaku No Koto Oshietekureta” and “Infinity 8” as the editor of Moba Man on Shogakukan’s e-Comic Store.
Editor in Chief of the Editorial Department for Kodansha’s magazine Dessert
Shigeki entered Kodansha in 1996 and was assigned to the editorial department of the Weekly Shōnen Magazine.
He then moved to the editorial department of the magazine Dessert on the first anniversary of its publication. He became the editor in chief of Dessert in 2013.
He was the main person in charge of various titles such as “Say ‘I Love You’”, “My Little Monster”, “House of Sun”, and “Liar x Liar”. He is currently in charge of “Boku To Kimi No Taisetsu Na Hanashi” and “Haru Matsu Bokura”.
Editor for Shueisha's magazine Jump Square
Shihei started working at Shueisha in 2006. He has been part of Shueisha Inc.’s editorial department for Jump Square since its first issue.
He is currently in charge of “Kono Oto Tomare!”, “Beet the Vandal Buster”, “Kemono Jihen”, “BLACK TORCH”, “Mr. Clice”, “Shūkyoku Engage”, “Hidari-kiki no Ellen”, “DEMON TUNE”, and “UNTRACE”.
Editor in Chief of LINE MANGA
Takashi was the editor in chief for the first editions of YOUNG GANGAN and BIG GANGAN seinen magazines when he worked for Square Enix Co., Ltd.
He began working for the LINE Corporation in January of 2017 and currently produces original works as the editor in chief of the editorial department for LINE MANGA.
1. Apply in two steps!
1. Submit your work on MediBang.
1Draw a manga!
2Add a tag!
3Submit to MediBang!
2. Fill out the questionnaire.
Please fill out the questionnaire.
Users outside of Japan can use MediBang translation
*Limited to English, French, Korean, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional).
- Entry Period
- May 22nd 2018 at 4:00 p.m. - July 20th 2018 at 4:00 p.m. (JST)
- Entry Format and Important Points
- ・Limited to works that have not been published in things such as a Japanese manga magazine or app, non-commercial works, and works that have not won an award at a manga contest in Japan.
・Derivative works are not allowed.
・No designated page order (pages can be ordered from right to left, left to right, or even top to bottom)
・Can be done in color, or black and white
・No limit on the number of pages (The recommendation is between 16 to 45 pages)
・Various parts of the prize-winning works (such as the title, pen name, part or all of the work, etc.) may be used as necessary by the organizer for free and without compensation for purposes such as announcing the results of the contest, printed materials, and use on the homepage in order to publicize and record the project.
・The rights of the work submitted for the prize belong to the entrant, however each editorial department may contact the entrant through the organizer for magazine publication.
・The prize may be revoked if we discover that an entry condition was not fulfilled prior to the completion of the judging.
- How to Enter
-  MediBang Contest Website
1. Register as a user on MediBang.
2. Click on Creators Submit here at the top of the MediBang website.
3. Click Submit on the MediBang Creators page.
4. Go to the Comics tab, select your file type and then upload your file(s).
5. Click Submit when you're finished.
6. On the Submissions page, scroll down to Details and then click Edit.
7. Give your work a Title and add the tag Kyoto International Manga Contest 2018 before saving your settings.
8. Click Complete.
9. Click Publish on MediBang when you are finished.
 Fill out the questionnaire.
1. Access the questionnaire after you submit your work to MediBang.
2. Enter the necessary information.
3. Click Send.
- Entry Conditions
- ・Must be an original manga
・Any genre allowed
*Please submit your manga in any one of the following languages on the appropriate page: Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Korean, English, or French.
- Those who live outside Japan (any nationality) that want to make their debut as a professional manga artist in Japan.
- Priveleges of the Prize-winning Works "
- The secretariat of the executive committee of the Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair and the managing company will select the finalists. The judges will then carefully select one work for the grand prize and two works for the semi grand prize from the finalists!
①Invitation to the Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair [Grand Prize/Semi Grand Prize]
*The round-trip transportation expenses to the venue and accommodation fees (for one person per prize) will be taken care of by the organizer
*Interpreters will be present to assist the winners
② Prize winners will be introduced to all the editorial departments that will participate in the Manga Business Trip Editorial Department at Miyako Messe on September 15, 2018 [Grand Prize/Semi Grand Prize]
③ Receive an illustration order for the next Kyoto International Manga Contest (only if the next contest is held) [Grand Prize]
- By entering in this contest, you are agreeing to all the terms and conditions detailed in the Contest Rules, so please read them thoroughly before you enter.
Please note that submitted works cannot be edited or deleted after the entry period is over, however tags (not including the contest tag) can still be added.