What is the Kyoto International Manga Award?
Kyoto International Manga Award 2019 is an international manga award that aims to create opportunities for manga artists to make professional debuts in Kyoto, in collaboration with “Manga Business Trip Editorial Department at KYO-MAF”.
The past winners are still active today!
© Natsu Tenshima studio / Shueisha
- 2018 Kun
- Present: Currently has a series in JUMP+! !
©隱藏關卡THL/Jōshō/Tongli Publishing Co., Ltd.
- 2017 Jōshō
- Present: Jōshō is currently in negotations with a manga publishing company in Japan.
©2018 nyaroro/SQUARE ENIX
- 2016 nyaroro
- Achievement: Their one-shot “Julian and Toga” was published in the October edition of the Monthly GFantasy magazine. Present: nyaroro is diligently creating new work for the same magazine.
- 2015 ANTENNA牛魚
- Achievement: Made their serialization debut in Japan in Shogakukan's magazine "Hibana". Present: ANTENNA牛魚 is earnestly making new work for Shonengahosha’s Young King BULL editorial department (released on the first of every month).
Newly established Illustration department from this year!
The winners will be invited to Kyoto, Japan!
The results will be announced on this page at the beginning of September and the award ceremony will be held at the venue of the Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair (Miyako Messe) on September 22, 2019.
One Grand Prize winner, one Semi Grand Prize winner and one Kyoto Prize winner will be invited to the Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair 2019 (KYO-MAF)!
The round-trip transportation expenses and accommodation fees (for one person per prize) will be taken care of by the organizer! They will also arrange for interpreters to be present!
Your shortcut to a professional debut!
【For the winners】
The prize-winning works of the Kyoto International Manga Contest will be displayed at KYO-MAF and the secretariat of the Kyoto International Manga Contest will recommend the prizewinners of the contest to all participating editorial departments in the Manga Business Trip Editorial Department at KYO-MAF. You might get an offer from a successful editor?!
【Other options than just winning!?】
Introducing the Scouting System! From now on, MediBang will hand over works of interest to the editors in the 60 manga editorial departments who participate in the above mentioned manga business trip editorial department @ Kyoto Mafu, Even if you do not receive the award, there may be an individual offer!?
Apply in two steps!
1. Submit your work on ARTstreet.
1Draw a manga!
2Add a tag!
3Post on ART street!
2. Fill out the questionnaire.
Please fill out the questionnaire.
Introducing our special judges!
Third Comic Department Producer and General Manager of Big Comics at Shogakukan
Tomofumi worked on various magazines such as Weekly Shōnen Sunday, Big Comic Spirits, Big Comic Original, and Big Comic Superior. He was in charge of a great number of works which include “Kaze no Daichi”, “Rumic Theater”, “Yoiko”, “Yattarо̄ Jan!!”, “Shippudotо̄”, “Aozora”, “Touch”, and “Urusei Yatsura”. He worked as the editor in chief for the editorial department of Big Comic Superior and is now in charge of the secretariat for the Shogakukan Manga Award. He is also currently in charge of “Nietzsche Ga Kyoto Ni Yattekite 17 Sai No Watashi ni Tetsugaku No Koto Oshietekureta” and “Infinity 8” as the editor of Moba Man on Shogakukan’s e-Comic Store.
Editor for Shueisha's magazine Jump Square
Shihei started working at Shueisha in 2006. He has been part of Sheisha Inc.’s editorial department for Jump Square since its first issue. He is currently in charge of “Kono Oto Tomare!”, “Beet the Vandal Buster”, “Kemono Jihen”, “BLACK TORCH”, “Mr. Clice”, “Shūkyoku Engage”, “Hidari-kiki no Ellen”, “DEMON TUNE”, and “UNTRACE”.
Editor in Chief of LINE MANGA
Takashi was the editor in chief for the first editions of YOUNG GANGAN and BIG GANGAN seinen magazines when he worked for Square Enix Co., Ltd. He began working for the LINE Corporation in January of 2017 and currently produces original works as the editor in chief of the editorial department for LINE MANGA.
Users outside of Japan can use MediBang translation
*Limited to English, French, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional).
- Entry Period
- May 13 (Mon) 16:00 to July 31 (Wed) 16:00 ※Japan time
- Entry Format and Important Points
・Limited to works that have not been published in things such as a Japanese manga magazine or app, non-commercial works, and works that have not won an award at a manga contest in Japan.
・Derivative works are not allowed.
・No designated page order. (pages can be ordered from right to left, left to right, or even top to bottom)
・Can be done in color, or black and white.
・No limit on the number of pages. (The recommendation is between 16 to 45 pages)
・Various parts of the prize-winning works (such as the title, pen name, part or all of the work, etc.) may be used as necessary by the organizer for free and without compensation for purposes such as announcing the results of the contest, printed materials, and use on the homepage in order to publicize and record the project.
・The rights of the work submitted for the prize belong to the entrant, however each editorial department may contact the entrant through the organizer for magazine publication.
・The prize may be revoked if we discover that an entry condition was not fulfilled prior to the completion of the judging.
- How to Enter
【1】 Post from Art Street
1. User registration on Art Street
2. Click "Post work" on the Art Street site
3. Select the file format from "Manga" and upload the file
4. Save the settings with the title, tag kyoto-manga2019 from the work details of the “work list”.
5. Click "Art Street Publishing"
【2】 Fill in the questionnaire form
1. Once the ARTstreet submission is complete, access this questionnaire form
2. Enter the required items
3. Click Send
- Entry Conditions
・Must be an original manga
・Any genre allowed
*Please submit your manga in any one of the following languages on the appropriate page: Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Korean, English, or French.
- Applicants who wish to be a manga artist who wants to make a professional debut in Japan (nationality is not an issue)
- Priveleges of the Prize-winning Works
The secretariat of the executive committee of the Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair and the managing company will select the finalists. The judges will then carefully select one work for the Grand Prize, one work for the Semi Grand Prize and one work for the Kyoto Prize!
① Grand Prize : ¥100,000JPY
② Semi Grand Prize : ¥50,000JPY
③Invitation to the Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair [Grand Prize/Semi Grand Prize/Kyoto Prize]
*The round-trip transportation expenses to the venue and accommodation fees (for one person per prize) will be taken care of by the organizer
*Interpreters will be present to assist the winners
④ Prize winners will be introduced to all the editorial departments that will participate in the Manga Business Trip Editorial Department at Miyako Messe on September 21, 2019 [Grand Prize/Semi Grand Prize/Kyoto Prize]
- By entering in this contest, you are agreeing to all the terms and conditions detailed in the Contest Rules, so please read them thoroughly before you enter. Please note that submitted works cannot be edited or deleted after the entry period is over, however tags (not including the contest tag) can still be added.