Tow Tateoka creates cute and detailed artwork with a mix of realism. We interviewed the artist!
Tow Tateoka's designs are very detailed, and is a mix of manga style and realism. The artist is also the designer of ART street mascot character, Meimichan! We asked the artist about their secrets of creating such lovely artwork!
This is how Tow Tateoka started creating artwork.
Tow Tateoka： When I was a kid, I drew my favorite mangas all the time.
I started creating illustrations as an adult though.
Tow Tateoka：I took art classes during 1st and 2nd grade.
I remember I got excited when I saw the tools.
Tow Tateoka：Before I started drawing, I used to create music as a hobby.
I also have a weird hobby, which I am not sure if it's even a hobby.
When I see a shrine, I get curious and research about the origin on the information sign, or with my phone.
I am not religious or want to learn about architecture. I'm a bit curious about the local history.
Tow Tateoka：I use a PC with a pen tablet (Intuos4 L).
The past year, I have been using MediBang Paint.
Tow Tateoka：There are so many functions, I can't believe it's a free program. I don't have to use multiple programs anymore.
I am comfortable using it at this point.
Tow Tateoka：I don't do any practices or exercises.
What I do to improve is, I let my curiosity and inspiration lead me.
If it is something I want to create, I will learn about it.
Tow Tateoka：I am influenced by many artists, but the biggest influence is from the manga artist Hirohiko Araki.
Tow Tateoka：When I was a kid, i drew JoJo the most, so I think it's my foundation.
If it wasn't for that experience, I might not have been drawing at all.
New ArticlesSee more
- We interviewed a veteran international illustrator for some advice! Interview with E.J. Su, who specializes in mecha design.
- A fantastic world painted with thick coating paint, colored by warm light! Interview with Lenu!
- We interviewed Liam Gray and Mangaka Ody. Their passion for manga is inspirational!
- Look at the combination of kawaii characters and anime style! We interviewed artist Yoshiki.
- cluseller's artwork sparkles like a jewel. We had a chance to interview the artist!
- We interviewed the famous artist, En Morikura. She creates a colorful and delicate atmosphere!【PR】